After my employer and I agree upon a proposed consent decree what will happen?


Your proposed consent decree and a complaint must be submitted to a court and ultimately reviewed and approved by a judge.


Before approving a consent decree, the judge must hold fairness hearings where other women from your workplace may be welcome to object or comment on the proposed decree.


If your consent decree is approved it becomes a public record.


If the judge rejects the consent decree you and your employers have two options:
-Continue to litigate the case, or
-Privately settle with terms that are identical to those proposed in the consent decree. However with a private settlement you will not necessarily have the same power to enforce your agreement if your employer does not do what they agreed. A judge does not directly supervise a private settlement.


Return to Main Consent Decree Page