Anti-discrimination Agencies and Elected Officials


Other possible sources of support are local, state and federal anti-discrimination agencies and your elected officials.




The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission administers and investigates complaints of sex discrimination under the Equal Pay Act, Title VII, and Executive Order 11246. You can find EEOC district, area, and field offices by visiting or calling 1-800-669-4000. You can file anti-discrimination complaints through these offices. The EEOC also offers mediation services as an alternative to investigations and litigation.


State and Local Commissions


Passage of equal opportunities laws and advocacy from women’s rights and civil rights organizations has resulted in the creation of local and state commissions whose job it is to stop discrimination in their localities, including discrimination against women. Many of these commissions against discrimination or human rights commissions have complaint mechanisms as well as mediation services.


Many communities also have local commissions on the status of women. While these Commissions generally do not have formal mechanisms to resolve complaints of discrimination, they often include women’s rights advocates who might assist you in your efforts to close the wage gap. The National Association of Women’s Commissions websiteprovides links to local and state women’s commissions across the country.


Elected Officials


Your city council member, state representative, state senator, member of Congress, and U.S. Senators were elected to represent you.


These lawmakers take an oath of office to uphold the laws of the state or municipality in which you live. These laws often include constitutional provisions, state laws, and city or town ordinances banning discrimination based on sex.


Contact your local and state law makers. Meet with them and tell them your story of sex discrimination. Ask for their help in getting your employer to take action to remedy discriminatory practices.